I wanted to express my deep gratitude for all that you have done for me during the summer and also for all that you do for your wonderful parish. It is hard to believe how quickly my time at St. Paul's passed by. I have enjoyed this summer very much because it has been a pleasure praying with you and getting to know you. Thank you for being so kind and welcoming. I have definitely received much encouragement from you all. I was very fortunate to be assigned to St. Paul's, and I made sure to say a special prayer to thank God for it.
It has been a great joy to see the beautiful ways that God is working in all of your hearts. I have seen the hard work the faculty at St. Paul's School does to provide such an educational and faith-filled environment for their students. I have met people who are preparing for the sacrament of Confirmation through the RCIA program. I have met others who are anticipating their children's baptism and are preparing to raise them in the faith. I have met couples who are preparing for marriage. I have met high-school students who are discerning God's will in their lives as they begin college applications and plan their future. I have also met several kids at St. Paul's School and many young altar servers. And of course, I have seen all of you who have been so dedicated and faithful to your parish every week. I know that the future holds great things for everyone here, and I wish I could stay at this parish longer to see all of this potential fulfilled.
Thank you once again for all you have given to your parish and for me. I will certainly miss you all, but St. Paul's will always have a special place in my heart.
With sincere gratitude,
Saturday, June 24, 2017
- Commit to a new daily prayer: Choose a new prayer, whatever prayer that is, adding a new one this summer will bring a fresh perspective and help to put a daily focus on God for the next few months.
- Tell God you are sorry: Get to confession this summer. Before going, think about the past year. Think about next year. Use the weather, fun, and freedom to make a fresh start.
- Make a visit to the church: Hour? Half-hour? 10 minutes? Doesn't matter! The church is open from 8AM to 1PM every day. Stop in and say "hi" to the Lord.
- Be grateful: Summer goes by quickly. Before we know it, we are back to school, sports, and other activities that crowd our days during the year. Summer is the time to be grateful for the many gifts God has given us.
- Read the psalms: This is a great way to synthesize the previous four suggestions. Take one psalm, and read a couple lines. Many speak about thanksgiving, contrition, joy, etc. You won't regret it!
The Alpha program will be returning to St. Paul's on Wednesday evenings next month. Dinner, a short DVD presentation exploring the Christian faith, and a small group discussion make for a lovely evening that runs from 6:30-8:30PM. Everyone is welcome at Alpha, so invite a friend and come and see what it's all about! More information will be available in the bulletin and on our parish app in the coming weeks.